Thursday, November 26, 2009

What This Feminist is Thankful For

I am thankful...

...for all of the women who came before me; the women who fought and died so that the rest of us could have the right to vote, to work in any field we want, to play for a funded sports program, to stay unmarried and still support ourselves, to own property, run for elected office and dream of becoming president.

...that I live in a country where I am still free to express myself, no matter how many people agree or disagree with me.

...for all of the women I have met along my journey who have nurtured me, served as my mentors, encouraged my independence and contributed to who I am today.

...for my friends.

...for the men who are just as angry at the gender inequalities and who fight to make things equal.  I am even more thankful for those men who proudly call themselves "feminist."

...for the women leaders who serve as examples to younger women and little girls that they too can be anything they want to be.

...for my nieces and nephew who remind me that there is hope for a better tomorrow.

...for my sister who is also my friend.

...for my parents who let me express myself in so many ways and allowed me to find my voice, even at a young age.

Finally, I am thankful to God, who despite what some may believe, belongs to and loves everyone, even a left-wing, liberal feminist like myself!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

1 comment: